In high school, I have taken many different courses from many different disciplines. Currently I am about to complete my undergraduate education and I have been reflecting on how well my high school academic experience has prepared me for real life.
I have created a list of courses that I believe have prepared me well and would also benefit future students.
- Opened doors to many practical and in demand fields such as actuarial sciences, computer science, engineering, etc.
- Taught me problem solving skills and helped me think more analytically; one cannot memorize a few formulas and expect to solve problems, one must learn to make connections and think “outside the box”.
2) Computer Engineering Technology/Hardware/Software/Science
- Helped me understand how computers work and since computers control virtually all aspects of civilization, one must understand them.
- I believe everyone must know how to solve their basic computer problems rather than rely on others for help; be independent and informed. This is especially true for women who are stereotyped often when they inquire about computer problems.
- I learnt about the past and understood how politics contributed to World War I and World War II.
- I am able to see patterns from the past re-emerge slowly.
- I am more aware of political alliances and how they can contribute to, mediate or prevent conflicts.
4) Exercise Science
- I learnt how the human body works on a higher level.
- I learnt about nutrition on a microscopic level.
- At the end of this course, I was able to create my own healthy diet and exercise plans to accomplish a variety of goals.