Science has become a competitor against religion. In ancient times, people would turn to religion for answers to life’s questions, now most people turn to science for answers. Science has the capacity to provide solutions to problems that religion could never provide. However, people still need religion. People still seek answers to many questions, predominantly moral based, from religion.
Here is a brief list, rather incomplete, of advantages and disadvantages of religion and science.
What does Religion Provide?
- Hope for the future.
- Helps cope with death.
- Creates a purpose in life.
- Unites people based on common beliefs.
- A control mechanism.
- Creates a foundation for high morals and good ethics.
What does Science Provide?
- Very logical world view.
- Predictable outcomes in life based on logic.
- Potential to explain anything.
- Encourages research of the unknown for a scientific answer.
Disadvantages of Religion:
- Potential to halt research and development, resulting in a deteriorating society.
- Cannot provide proof or logical answers to many questions about the world.
Disadvantages of Science:
- No foundation for morals or ethics.